The Higher Council For Science And Technology (HCST)
Converting The Higher Council for Science and Technology into an Environmental / Green Building

The Higher Council for Science and Technology (HCST) received a grantfrom the European Union in February 2015 to convert the HCST building into an ECO/ Green building. This project will enable the Higher Council to use renewable energy technologies to generate electricity from solar energy and utilize geothermal energy for heating, cooling, water heating and also use thermal insulation and energy saving lamps.

Under the grant scheme the maximum European Union funding is 90% of the cost of the grant, for an amount of Euro (750,000), funded by a grant request through” Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Demonstration Projects (REEED) “, run by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources. The remaining 10% is covered by the beneficiary, as well as in-kind costs related to the project implementation. The project was also funded by a supplementary grant JD (110,000) from the “Gulf Grant” administered by the Ministry of Planning and International (MoPIC), in addition to another JD (75,000) funded by a grant from “Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiently Program - JREEEF" managed by the Ministry of  Energy and Mineral Resources. The total cost reached about one million Dinars.

The project aims at reducing the energy bill of the HCST building through the utilization of solar and geothermal energy (Ground Source Heat Pump- GSHP) for the purposes of heating, cooling and hot water. In addition, standard lighting bulbs will be replaced with energy saving bulbs. Moreover, the project includes improving the status of the thermal insulation of the building, and improving the functional and aesthetic perspectives of the building. The project will also reduce the environmental impact by switching from polluting to other environmentally friendly efficient technologies, at the same time; the project will work on increasing the employees’ level of comfort and productivity

The project will provide information for scholars and professionals in the construction and design of buildings, renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency fields. It will provide data about energy consumption before and after implementation.  The results will be used in calculating the feasibility of similar projects and the development of standard designs for green buildings in the public and private sectors. In other words, the building will be a show case and practical example of green buildings.

The project includes the following activities:

  1. Utilizing Geothermal Energy Technology (GSHP) for heating, air-conditioning and hot water.
  2.  Installing  electricity generating system using solar energy
  3.  Replacing all current light bulbs with energy-saving (LED) bulbs.
  4.  General Maintenance work to increase the insulation of the walls, windows, doors and ceilings as well as increase the aesthetics of the building.
  5.  Installing monitoring and control systems of the specialized power equipment.

The Energy and Building Research Centers at the Royal Scientific Society were assigned as the Project Engineer, responsible for supervising the implementation of the project and ensuring the accuracy of contractors’ measures to achieve the project initial objectives. The centers have conducted studies and engineering analyses to determine elements of the project design, technical and financial feasibility, and energy and electricity consumption and assess the employees’ level of comfort in the building before the implementation, to prepare comparative studies; before and after the implementation of the project.

Following the completion of the project all results will be shared with researchers, engineers, designers and implementers interested in the domain of environmental green buildings. This information will be disseminated through workshops, field visits, video shows, and other communication media and publications.

27 / 09 / 2017
© 2019 Developed by Blue Ray for Web Solutions. All rights reserved